Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Artist Biography

My whole life I wanted to be a veterinarian because I have an immense love for animals. I went to the health academy in my high school to help myself have a stronger science background, and began college as a biology student with the intention of applying to veterinary school, and helping all the animals of the world. However, there was a problem; I have always been horrible at math and science. I was forced to abandon my dreams of being the savior of all animals in distress, and pursue another path.

I thought long about what else I could see myself doing for the rest of my life and the answer was art. On my mother’s side of the family there are a lot of artists; I sometimes think I was genetically predisposed to become one.

I grew up in Houston, TX, in a predominately Hispanic neighborhood. I attended one of the worst high schools in Houston, but I never let it damper my dreams. Even though I was set on becoming a veterinarian, I would always buy drawing books and art supplies and doodle on everything. I loved watching Bob Ross and for most of my childhood he and my cousin were the only art role models I had.

As I was immersed further into the world of art I developed real influences. I immediately loved Egon Schiele’s art style and subject matter and began sketching nudes all the time. Van Gogh’s painting, Bedroom in Arles, is also a painting I am constantly looking at for emotional inspiration. Lately, I’ve found that I like to combine elements of my graphic design background into traditional art, such as my paintings. My greatest influences at the time are street artists, graffiti artists and Gustav Klimt.

No comments: